When you're doing the triceps stretch, remember to maintain good posture throughout the exercise. You may sit or stand during this stretch, and you need a towel, so go grab one now. Using the towel helps people who are very tight in the shoulders because the towel allows you to focus on your triceps without feeling discomfort in your shoulders.
To do this stretch, follow these steps:
1. Place your towel or strap in your left hand and lift it over your shoulder.
2. With your right hand, reach behind your back and grab the other end of the towel (see Figure 4-13).
3. Inhale and as you exhale, gently pull down on the towel with your right hand.
4. With each exhale try to increase the stretch by pulling down on the towel a little more with your right hand.
5. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds or four to five slow, deep breaths.
You can get a stretch in your shoulder at the same time if you walk your lower hand up the towel as you gently pull down on the towel, as if you were trying to get your two hands to touch.
A few do's and don'ts for this stretch:
l Do keep your back straight and your abdominals in. l Do relax as you hold the stretch.
l Do keep your eyes forward and your shoulder blades down. l Don't hold your breath.
l Don't bounce the stretch or yank on the towel too forcefully. l Don't tuck your chin down to your chest.
Was this article helpful?