Tabata dumbbell template
1. Total body
• Snatch variants (CFJ issue 54)
o One arm or two o From the hang or from the deck
2. Upper body
• Vertical presses (CFJ issue 53)
o Standing press o Push press o Push jerk or split jerk
• Horizontal presses o Bench press o Push-up variations (CFJ issue 56)
3. Lower body
• Squats, with dumbbells (from CFJ issue 49): o Low, at the sides o Racked, at the shoulders o Overhead (one arm or two)
• Lunges, with dumbbell(s) (from CFJ issue 49): o Low, at the sides o Racked, at the shoulders o Overhead (one arm or two) o Extended in front or to the side(s)
• Knees to elbows, hanging from a bar or rings
Michael Rutherford (a.k.a. Coach Rut, a.k.a "the Dumbbell Coach") is the owner of CrossFit Kansas City/Boot Camp Fitness. He has over a quarter-century of fitness coaching experience with athletes of all ages. He has also worked in hospital wellness environments and rehabilitation clinics. Rut holds academic degrees in biology, physical education, and exercise physiology and sports biomechanics. He is a USAW-certified Club Coach and is a CrossFit level-3 trainer. You can learn more dumbbell exercises from his three-volume DVD set Dumbbell Moves.
The CrossFit Journal is an electronically distributed magazine chronicling a proven method of achieving elite fitness.
Subscription information and back issues are available at the CrossFit Store at http://store.crossfit.com
If you have any questions or comments, send them to [email protected]
Your input will be greatly appreciated and every effort will be made to answer e-mails.
Greg Glassman Lauren Glassman Carrie Klumpar
Was this article helpful?