• A regular intake of protein is required throughout the day
• Protein quality is important, and can be enhanced by combining protein sources
• 2 - 4g of protein per kg body weight per day is required, depending on a number of factors
• Protein 'windows' should be utilised
• A steady input of high fibre starchy carbohydrate foods is needed throughout the day
• Carbohydrate requirements vary depending on a number of factors
• The topic of whether protein or carbohydrate is the primary nutrient in bodybuilding is an area of debate
• Protein and carbohydrate foods compliment each other and should be consumed together
• Amino acids and short chain peptides, and monosaccharides and oligosaccharides should be available in the intestine for optimal protein and carbohydrate absorption
Was this article helpful?
Ever since the fitness craze in the 1980’s, we have become a nation increasingly aware of our health and physique. Millions of dollars are spent every year in the quest for a perfect body. Gyms are big business, personal trainers are making a tidy living helping people stay fit, and body building supplements are at an all-time level of performance.