• Vitamins and minerals are essential nutrients which can be obtained by eating a healthy balanced diet
• Anutrients are substances found in food which may help to protect against disease
• Whilst RDAs for nutrients are a good base line for requirements, they are merely a guide, and higher intakes may be needed to prevent against disease and optimise performance
• Vitamin and mineral supplements are only required in special circumstances, and sufficient amounts can be obtained from food
• In bodybuilding, under certain circumstances, some vitamin and mineral supplements may have a use
Was this article helpful?
Ever since the fitness craze in the 1980’s, we have become a nation increasingly aware of our health and physique. Millions of dollars are spent every year in the quest for a perfect body. Gyms are big business, personal trainers are making a tidy living helping people stay fit, and body building supplements are at an all-time level of performance.